Total Weight Loss

Monday, December 10, 2012

Miss Me?

I got thrown a couple of major curve balls by life in the last several days.  Blogging suddenly became much less important.  I'm still in the midst of a major life upheaval so I'm not sure how much I'll be around.  To keep from seeming so mysterious, I'll recap my month so far.

On December 1,  my mother and I had a meeting regarding her sister's estate.  It got ugly but by the time it was over, things had smoothed out.  I left her at her house about 1:30 and moved on with my day.  65MD and I went out to a late lunch/early supper because we had a football game to watch.  We had just gotten home and settled in for the game when my sister called.

A friend from church has stopped by my mother's house and discovered she'd had a 'spell' so she called my sister who is a nurse.  My sister quickly realized that our mother was in serious trouble.  She called 911 and me.  65MD and I met the first responders on the way to her house.  My sister had not been able to find a pulse or a BP, but my mother would respond when she was asked a direct question.  That was the only way we knew she was alive.

She spend a couple of nights in CCU with dangerously low BP and then a few more nights in the hospital with more stable BP.  She was released on Friday with no diagnosis for the cause of the episode although an irregular heartbeat was diagnosed and will be treated with medication.  The irregular heartbeat does not cause the sort of symptoms she presented.  We've been told we may never know the cause.

As a result, we are all a little nervous about her health.  Although, every test came back indicating she was incredibly healthy, we are still concerned.  Since we all have this concern, my  mother has moved in with 65MD and me at least until Christmas.  We are leaving the door open as to how long because she isn't ready to talk about it.  That is fine.  65MD and I are glad to have her with us.  We are thankful that we are in a position to have her, and so far it has worked well.

The biggest issue we face now, is adjusting her diet to accommodate the new medication.  The allowed foods are much higher in carbohydrates than we are used to.  65MD is fine eating whatever is prepared and is doing his best to think of creative menus that will work for the three of us.  But that isn't the entire story of the week.

On Thursday, my mother had stabilized to the point that I felt comfortable keeping a therapy appointment I had for my hip.  I'll not go in to detail, but the bottom line on that is P90X is off the table for me at this time.  I was given a couple of exercises to do to heal my hip, but that is all I am allowed to do at this time.

After a week in the hospital, eating and drinking what kind friends brought by, I was surprised to see that my weight has been somewhat stable.  My friends know that I have lost weight, so they brought diet beverages, fruit and the like to the hospital.  There was no meaningful exercise, and the few steps I got were from pacing the halls.

I know there is no way that I will make the 1000 mile challenge by the end of the year and I'll likely still weigh over 200 pounds on January 1.  Right now, all of that pales in comparison.  I'll do my PT exercise faithfully.  I will serve my mother the food she needs to be healthy and eat that myself, avoiding the carbs.  I will be around as much as possible but I make no promises about blogging once a week or anything like that.  I will continue to monitor my weight, and try to at least maintain.  I am setting no goals and have no expectations of weight loss.

I very much appreciate prayers during this time of transition.  I know that it will all work out as it should.  It just might not be a lot of fun getting there.

For the record, I have 889 miles for the year, and I weigh 208.6.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, I had most definitely missed you and was giving you until today to post or I'd have been emailing you!! So sorry to hear of all this - we just never, never know what might happen in the next minute! You haven't mentioned the other person that was living with you in quite some time. Is that individual still there? Will this work out o.k. adding yet another person to your household? I'll certainly hold you in my thoughts - post when you can even if just quick note to let us know how you are. Yes, I care about your diet, your weight and your steps, but mostly, I care about YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. 65MD's son moved out a couple of months ago. It had just been the two of us until a couple of days ago. There will certainly be a period of adjustment for all of us, but this is the right thing to do.

      Delete
    2. Lori, thanks for answering my question. I did know that it was 65MD's son, but didn't know if it was o.k. to be that specific on the blog so I was deliberately vague with my question. Sounds as if that situation rectified itself. I've had you on my mind a lot these last couple of days. Hope you are adjusting.

      Delete
  2. Yanno, I have to be honest and say I hadn't noticed your absence yet since sometimes your posts are sporadic. But I would've soon! Had a busy weekend with no breathing room. I am so sorry about everything going on! I'm glad your mom is "okay" now, but I hate that you can't get answers. That was scary, for sure. Glad it's going well with her moving in. You did AWESOME on your walking challenge. You still weigh less than me, girl. I'm sorry, though, that those vicious 200s showed back up. :( Please just keep us updated as you can. I hope you don't require a hip replacement or anything major. Feel free to personal email me if you need to vent or anything.((((hugs)))) We really should meet up one of these days, being close in location and all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad things are looking a little better. I wish you the best of luck in all that you do the rest of this year and this coming new year! I hope things get to going better. Don't worry about this blog! You and your family's health is much more important than updating a blog! We all know that and understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well so sorry for all the turmoil and health issues but glad you're gettin better and your mom is doin better too. i shall add her to my prayers (you're already in them!) xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete