Total Weight Loss

Friday, July 10, 2015

Positive Affirmations

I am still working on capturing those negative thoughts and turning them into positive ones.  My biggest issue with the whole thing is being honest about it.  I don't know where the line is between being positive and self delusion.

I read articles that state all I have to do is believe something to be true and it will be so.  I don't think so!  I can believe all day long that I am 5' 8" and it won't change my stature.  So, in my mind, it does no good to believe that I weigh 110 pounds.  I don't.

I've tried telling myself things that aren't true now, but could be like:
*I like vegetables.
*I work out regularly.
*I am a healthy weight.

That still leads to frustration on my part. I do my best to implement changes that will make those statements true, but I never see it through.  I don't see results quickly enough or some life event throws me off course.  I don't  have to lose 10 pounds a day to be happy.  I'd be thrilled with any amount of progress.  I'm just not seeing it.

I want to be positive.  I want to believe the best about me in all areas, not just weight loss.  I'm not any better at positive messages than I am at permanent weight loss.

What to do?  What to do?

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, Lori. I still catch myself doing negative self talk, but at least now I do realize it and stop it. I am so not "name it and claim it," as some say. I mean, I would like to be! I would def speak to my wallet! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive thoughts have their place. But when I read your post I thought about the fact that I used to eat raw carrots and yogurt almost every day in my lunch. This may not seem like a big deal at all. If I tell you that I HATE raw carrots and abhor yogurt what would you say??? But I was using the 'positive thoughts' that I would begin to like these foods. It wasn't good for me. One day I woke up and I said, "You know what? I don't like carrots and yogurt and it's not going to change. So my positive words changed to "OK Maryfran, I don't like carrots and yogurt so lets find something that DOES work for me so that I can be happy and still meet my goals." POSITIVE!

    You've got this. Exercise may be a thing of finding the one thing you hate the least. ;-) I abhor exercise ....I ADORE the feeling when I'm done. (Not just the fact that I'm done with that evil hour....but the energy that flows through me.......I love that energy!) Focus on whatever positive you can find...but accept that you are you and you may just always HATE exercise generallly speaking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most positive thing you can tell yourself (that can become true) is, "I will choose a positive thought." Sometimes that's all I can say. If I look, I can figure out a positive for most any situation.

    So, no, I can't think myself 198 pounds. But I can say, "My t-shirts would feel SO much better if I continued on this path" - or like MaryFran said. I like that. No, I don't like XYZ, but I know that XYZ is the better choice, so look at me WOOHOO choosing it when I hate it. I'm going to put those two things into my arsenal this week. Thanks ladies. xxoo

    ReplyDelete