Total Weight Loss

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Disappointment & Despair


The up and down with the scales continued through the weekend.  On Sunday, even though my weight had ticked down a bit, I was still disappointed.  I thought I should have gotten better results from the scales.  I felt myself slipping over the edge into despair.  I could see the darkness coming.  I lived in that place too long.  I know how it feels and I know I don't like it.

I was sitting on the edge of my bed when I felt the change starting and knew I had to stop it or I would really be in for a downward spiral.  I had a nice little chat with myself about expectations and how I wasn't going to have any this time.  I spoke kindly to myself, which felt good.  I reminded myself of how well I was doing on the things I could control.  Everything in my control was all spot on.  I began to feel better right away.

This is so different from my previous weight loss attempts of any type.  I would have slipped into despair.  I would have stayed there for far too long telling myself that I was somehow not good enough.  Not only was I fat, but I didn't have the sense to follow a simple plan and all sorts of ugliness.  No wonder I couldn't get out of that place when I continually beat myself up.

This time having spent some quality time with myself assuring myself that I was doing the best I could and  not to worry about the scales, I felt lighter immediately.  I was no longer carrying the weight of making myself responsible for something over which I had no control.  The scales responded!

2 comments:

  1. It is so difficult to stay positive when we are doing everything right and the scales just don’t show it!!!! I’m right there with you!!! My weight loss of late had been either incredibly slow or non existent. I have had to remind myself almost continually that it is not a gain....so that is a victory!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great, Lori. If you are doing your part, the scales will eventually do theirs! Keeping a positive mindset is one very giant step in the right direction for your overall health.

    ReplyDelete