Total Weight Loss

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

More about the Grocery Fast

Timothy asked in the comments yesterday if there were some items I was not going to restock.  The answer is a resounding YES.    I'm not buying any more non sugar sweetener that isn't agave nectar for one.  But more important than the list of what I'm not buying is how my shopping changed yesterday.

I went armed with a list which is typical.  What was on the list and how it came to be on the list were different.  65MD and I keep a running shopping list.  We add items as we run out.  Except for the month of June.  We did not automatically write down what we'd just finished.  We would think about it and decide if that was what we really wanted.  Sunday night, together we went over the list.  We agreed we had a good list and I went to the store on Monday.

As I was making my way through the store and down the list, I noticed that I was making a circle around the store.  That is an old Weight Watcher trick I learned.  Shop the perimeter.  I loaded up on fresh produce; our biggest item we missed during the month.  I filled in with a little dairy, deli and a few miscellaneous staples.  I needed nothing on the aisles.

I don't think I'll go back to making grocery shopping a focal point of my week.  In fact, I don't think I'll even go every week.  We've learned that life doesn't fall apart when we don't have a particular food item.  That was a good lesson for us.

3 comments:

  1. We're trying a similar experiment this month simply for the purpose of cleaning out before moving. The joy of having not one, but TWO pantrys in this house has been my downfall. Thankfully, I will have a pantry in the condo, but only one and its small. So I want to get both pantrys, my cabinets, fridge AND freezer cleaned out by the first of August. You were a good influence!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon. It is humbling to think I am a positive influence on you, when I look to you for the same thing.
      Lori

      Delete
  2. Good for you, Lori. It's a challenge to not have certain things stocked and to turn to other foods instead.

    ReplyDelete