Total Weight Loss

Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Scales Moved!

This morning the scales finally moved down.  They moved down a whole 0.2 pounds.  Ordinarily, I'd be glad for this move.  I'd see is as a first small step in the right direction.  Not this time.  While I'm glad for the loss, I'm not all jazzed up about this being a good thing.  Let me fully disclose my day yesterday and see if anyone else agrees.

I had a late breakfast, skipped lunch and then had an early supper.  Breakfast was on plan, supper not so much since it was in a restaurant.  Even in the best of circumstances it is just hard to know what is really on that plate.  Was it really prepared the way I asked or not?  Generally a meal out, always means a gain the next day.  Add to that, I only drank 3/4 of my general water intake yesterday.  The day just did not turn out as expected.  It wasn't a bad day by any means, just a different day.  I'm OK with that except that it impacted my eating.   I should stay in control of that no matter the circumstances.  Anyway...

Remember that the other day, I gained two pounds after a textbook perfect day of eating and drinking.  I've learned for the most part not to let that bother me.  While the gain itself didn't send me in to a tailspin, I did not like the fact that it stayed around so long.

Now, after having a not so on plan day and to have a loss creates a negative reinforcement I don't want.  I can just hear myself justifying something by thinking that I lost weight after eating out, so why not eat X.  My thought process will go something like this:
 If eating on plan = Gain and
 Eating out = Loss then
I  should eat ice cream.

I am glad for the loss and I am telling myself it could have been more if I'd stayed more with my program yesterday.  My body is just weird.  I don't know if that is true or not.  I'm still telling myself that.

For the record, breakfast was late again today and I've not had lunch yet.  But it is ready to eat when it is time.  And, I've had all my water.  I'm getting back with it.  Maybe tomorrow, I can report that the rest of that 2 pounds is gone.


9 comments:

  1. I know I've said it before, but I wonder if you would really benefit from eating low cals (like 1200 to 1400) for 2 or 3 days solid and then switching it up with a high-calorie day (like 1600 to 2000), then back to low cals. I know that this morning, after eating TWO snacks last night, I was down an entire pound aftering eating perfectly on plan for 2 full days and then having 1 "bad" day. I have heard a bunch of times that it shocks your metabolism. Maybe this is the case for you? Or maybe because you were doing the hcg diet and were very restricted (at least that's what I've read about hcg), now your body is hanging onto the pounds until it feels reassured that you aren't going to "starve" it, for lack of a better word. It's all sooooo frustrating, and I personally know how hard it is not to let it rule your mind all day/night/week/month! So maybe it's really not the unhealthy eating that is causing the loss, but rather a shock to your metabolism. Worst you could do is try the high/low plan????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci,
      I've wondered the same thing. I've read plenty of studies that indicate there is some truth to keeping your body guessing. Mine seems very adaptable to whatever amount of calories it gets!!! I've resisted because I'm afraid I'll start using that as an excuse to over do it. Since you brought it up, I'll give it some consideration. It is definitely worth a thought.
      Lori

      Delete
  2. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!??? What is going on?!
    I can totally feel your frustration. I hope it is just water weight, or something else factoring in, and it will (soon) show as a result for you. I understand wanting that tangible acknowledgement of your good efforts.

    It's funny how many tricks the mind will try to play. I can hear my own self rationalizing the same negative reinforcements you are. However, on the positive side, eating out can definitely be part of the plan, so long as it isn't too often, and it is surrounded by "on task" days. I think that's part of the reason I need to do this challenge right now i to keep me on task consistently for a bit.

    Hang in there, sista! Hopefully those two pounds will get lost - and soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get it! I feel vindicated. I didn't feel like I was really communicating my feelings very well. Now I know that someone out there understands. That makes me feel almost as good as losing weight.
      Lori

      Delete
  3. sorry darlin you know it WILL drop sooner or later, but you drive yourself crazy weighing daily. i do once a week. sometimes the body is just ornery! keep on keepin on hon! mayhaps we need to do a fast for a couple of days again to jumpstart the process. lemme know what days and i'll do it with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timothy,
      What a great idea! The hubs is going to be out of town tomorrow and Saturday. Those would be perfect days to fast. In the past, it would have been the perfect excuse to binge.

      Staci suggested that I mix up my calorie intake. P promised I'd think about it. Now I'm thinking she's right. I can mix in a fast along with the ever changing calorie intake.

      Comments rock! I never would have put this all together on my own.
      Lori

      Delete
  4. Mixing up calories (but only up about 100-150 calories) then back down again is a good idea. And remembering, that the scale can pick up on a butterfly sneezing in Iowa. Or something. In other words, who knows why sometime, and since we don't...try not to let it bother you much. Remember the tortoise and the hare. It's not who can speed ahead, it's who wins in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only beacuse I have only seen the scale move up for the past several months will I say that you should take the .2 loss with a smile... lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The human body is so complexed, it's crazy how sometimes itndoes what ever it wants, stick with it, it'll fall in line soon. Great job on 56 lbs.

    ReplyDelete