Total Weight Loss

Monday, April 15, 2013

Mind Games

As I mentioned in Saturday's brief post most of the time the weight loss battle for me is in the mind.  It is more about retraining my mind than about retraining my taste buds.  If my mind is in the right place, I'll naturally want healthier food.  Since that is true for me, I'm constantly looking for ways to encourage myself to stay on track with little games I play.  I'll share a couple of those today.

I get so weary sometimes of weighing/measuring my food.  Some time ago, I adopted the practice of preparing a week's worth of food, so that I didn't have to do that every.single.day.  I still do that.  It still helps, but I needed to kick it up a notch. Now, I play a game with myself to see if I can put the right amount of food on the scale the first time.  I'm getting pretty good at it too.  I see this as a game that will deliver benefits at my goal weight.  If I get so good at putting the right amount of food on the scale most of the time, at my goal weight, I'll know the right portion when I see it.  It is a win-win game.

The other thing I've started, I actually copied from one of the blogs I read.  Sorry, I can't remember who, or I'd link back.  I took a small jar and put buttons in it equalling the number of pounds I want to lose.  Every time I lose a pound, I take a button out of the jar and put it in a box.  It is a visual reminder.  As the number of buttons in the jar shrinks, so is my body.  The buttons in the box remind me of how far I've come.  I know the ticker at the top of my blog does the same thing, but somehow I get blind to it.  It has been there so long, I don't notice it sometimes, and often fail to update it.  I'm going to try to get back to that also.

Hopefully, since these little tricks help me, maybe they will someone else too.  Anyone else got any fun little mind games they play?




4 comments:

  1. I used to get so tickled when I would throw down shredded cheese on the food scale and it would ring right at 14 grams. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont know if it was from mine but a friend did the jar thing and i know i shared it, so lets just say it's a universally useful tip! lol. i decided today i need to do a fat fast for the next few days i'm feelin a bit out of contraol and i want to get some back so food needs to become routine and blah for a bit i need to just consider it fuel and bland is best for that to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of the buttons in jars thing. That's a great idea! I think I might try it.

    Little tricks to help the mind definitely help. I'm 100% convinced weight loss is mostly about your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever works to keep things kicking! :)

    ReplyDelete