Total Weight Loss

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

My CAN Do Plan

I've been rocking right along with my CAN Do plan.  It isn't hard when there are really no standards to measure against.  :)

My three CAN do items are:
1.  Drink water
2.  Keep a food list
3.  Do therapy (6 exercises to do at home to continue to strengthen my right hip area)

These three things I've committed to do each day.  I have done each one successfully.  Sometimes I just drink one glass of water or write down what I've eaten hours afterwards.  It still counts since the goals are so broad.  

The scales have not responded.  Honestly, I didn't expect much.  I knew when I started this, that these would be baby steps in the right direction.  I knew that more steps of whatever size would still need to happen to see meaningful progress.  I have learned from the food lists that I really need to eat more vegetables.  Adding at least one vegetable per day is another small step forward.  I'll continue in this manner for as long as I need to.  It feels comfortable.

Sometimes, it feels a little too comfortable.  Sometimes, I get concerned that I'm fiddling while Rome burns.  We all know that the scales are not an accurate measure.  And until I ran across this article, the scales were all I had.  I encourage reading it as the author does a much better job of explaining those weight fluctuations than me.

Briefly, the article states that the fluctuations have to do with fluid/sodium intake or carb intake, among other factors including the cycles of the body.  It further states that in addition to the scales that three waist measures be taken:  one at the belly button, one two inches above the belly button and one two inches below it.  The measures in tandem with the scales show a more accurate picture of what is happening in the weight loss arena.  Read it.  There is also a chart at the bottom of the article suggesting how to make changes depending on the results.

So, as of today I am making Wednesday a weigh-in and waist measure day.  I'll report my progress each week and continue to take steps forward no matter how small. 

This is my new CAN Do list:
1.  Drink water
2.  Keep a food list and eat one vegetable each day
3.  Do therapy
4.  Weigh & measure on Wednesday




3 comments:

  1. If you want a plan to work you have to work the plan. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds reasonable, and the weight fluctuations make total sense to me! I will read the article, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a sensible plan to me and you CAN DO IT!

    ReplyDelete