Total Weight Loss

Thursday, August 7, 2014

My Hip History

But first, thanks for the affirmations regarding my new goal weight.  I feel good about the decision and the positive comments reinforced that.  Now, on to my hips!

I have had issues with my right hip for longer than I can remember.  That is the reason I am writing this post.  I want to capture as much of the information as I can recall in one place.  

Several years ago, I was diagnosed with arthritis in my right hip and prescribed naproxen (OTC Aleve).  It did the trick dealing with the pain and I moved on.  I took the medication only as needed and really didn't think about it too much.  

In October 2012, I decided to give P90X a whirl.  I thought I had my eating under control and needed to kick my workout program up a notch.  I wound up kicking my hip joint right out of place.  I was in incredible pain particularly when moving from a sitting to a standing position.  I finally went to the doctor in November.  He sent me to an orthopaedist who noticed that the ball of my femur was flat on top, thus allowing it to slip out of the socket.  My leg was put back in place and I went to therapy for several weeks.  It got better.  I don't think it ever got good.  It is hard for me to remember a time since then that I haven't had some level of pain in my right hip.

Early this year as I was anticipating travel and weddings to come, the arthritis flared again.  I tried to cope with it since I had too much fun on the agenda to go to the doctor.  That wasn't a good plan, and I wound up causing the bursa in my hip joints to flare creating double pain.  I went to the doctor.  He sent me to a rheumatologist for the bursitis.

That doctor believed my problem stemmed from the arthritis and gave me a shot.  It helped.  But only for a time.  During the last couple of months, it has gotten progressively worse.  Again, I had too much fun on my agenda to go to the doctor until today.

This time, I have a referral to an orthopaedic surgeon, for hip replacement consultation.  I'm ready.  I want the replacement to happen ASAP.  I have birthdays, anniversary and travel on the horizon.  I want to enjoy all of those events without pain in my hip.

I'll post again tomorrow after the appointment to share the treatment plan.

On the weight loss front, the scales are being kind.  I'm past the half way point.  I have fewer pounds to lose than I have already lost!!  That is good.  I'm sure once the surgery happens, the weight loss will continue as I will be able to move more freely.  

2 comments:

  1. I had DM's hip replacement done for him. The orthopedic surgeon told us that the hip is the easiest replacement to recover from. You'll do great, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like it is definitely time to put the pain behind you and get the replacement! (Arthritis is a beee-otch). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete