Total Weight Loss

Monday, March 14, 2016

The Week that Was

And what a week, indeed!

On the way home from our little trip, we got a call that a dear friend of 65MD's from way back had a stroke.  She was in the ER with her husband.  This couple has four children, two that live in town and they were both out of town.  The other two children were so far away they could not make it to town quickly enough to be of assistance.  One of their grandchildren was calling to see if 65MD could go be with them.  We were about 30 minutes away from home at that time, and 65MD said he would get there as soon as possible.

We got home, unloaded the car as quickly as possible.  65MD left to see what he could do for his friend while I unpacked.  He came home with the news that she would survive the stroke, but not be able to go back home.  She would stay in the hospital until suitable arrangements could be made.  Three of the four children were making arrangements to get here as quickly as possible.   So the need for us was minimal ongoing,

We had put our car in the shop when we left town, with the plan for it to be ready on Wednesday.  It wasn't.  I had to rearrange my Wednesday schedule to work entirely from home.  That was fine.  The problem was we could not pick up the car until late Thursday.  I pick up my niece on Thursdays which I was not going to miss.

My mother readily agreed to come get me on Thursday and take me to get my niece; and then stay with her at our house while 65MD and I went to get the car.  Simple, huh?  Not exactly.

About the time we got the car a blinding rainstorm hit.  It had been predicted but I thought it was going to miss us.  I'd left my mother and niece hunting for Easter eggs in the back yard.  People with any sense were pulling off of the road to wait it out.  Not me.  I poked on down the road with my flashers going.  I had to get to my mother and niece.  It was a good thing I'd pressed through.

A family member of 65MD's friend had shown up at our house.  She knocked on the front door, but my mother didn't hear because of the rainstorm.  She then proceeded to the backdoor which was unlocked and walked in.  It startled my mother and made my niece angry.

I got home moments after that and was able to calm my mother but not my niece.  (I have to admit, I got a bit of a chuckle out of my niece being so upset! I wish a had a video of that little thing explaining to me just how bad this situation was.)  I thought the visit had been arranged with 65MD and that he'd just forgotten to tell me with everything else going on.  He was as surprised as everyone else was.  Initially, he thought arrangements had been made with me, and I failed to tell him!

Anyway, she needed to spend the night with us, which turned into two nights.  I was totally unprepared for guests.  We don't have a spare bed right now because the bedroom floor is still under construction!  I had not prepared anything for our evening meal with all of the chaos.  We wound up going out to eat and then taking her to the store for supplies she felt like she needed.  She slept on a mattress in the floor.

It seemed like from the time we got back to town until now, we have had no control over our time and how it was spent.  The good news is, my weight is down.  (I didn't promise not to weigh!)This week is spring break for 65MD.  He is working on the room as I type.  Our goal for the week is to be moved back in to our room by the end of the week.  And for me, to have my weight stay down.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Just wow! I would say, "when it rains, it pours" but I guess that's redundant. Hope all is better this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will probably get bored this week and not know what to do with ourselves.
      Lori

      Delete
  2. What an eventful few days! I hate whirlwind days like that. I bet your niece was a cute little sassafras! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have the right idea regarding my niece.
      Lori

      Delete
  3. Woah! What a week!!!! Sounds like you pulled through it like a trooper though!

    Love your goal! Simple yet you will have to focus to reach it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my goal from now on is just to have my weight go down and not put any numbers or time frame on it.
      Lori

      Delete