Total Weight Loss

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Dolphin

Last week I had an absolutely glorious 'unplugged' week at the beach.  I loved every minute of it, but really skipped over blogging about the most glorious thing that happened because it wasn't food related.  After reading Sharon's blog today, I realized that maybe the most glorious thing could be related to this journey.  Hang in there as I share it...

After our travel and WiFi issues of Tuesday, I went to the beach alone Wednesday morning.  65MD was at his conference as it was about 8:30 am.  There was hardly anyone on the beach and I felt like a heroine in a romance novel, since they always have private beaches.  The sun was shining.  There was the gentle beach breeze.  The temperature was near perfect.  The water was a gorgeous shade of blue.  I stood looking out over the water thinking that life didn't get any better.  I was fully in the moment; fully thankful for my life that allowed me such joy.  I standing there thinking that life really didn't get any better, when I saw a dolphin jump in the water.  I felt like it was a gift to me for my gratitude.  The dolphin was swimming back the way from which I'd come so I raced the dolphin back up the beach.  I had no thought other than how much I was enjoying the moment.  It was no contest, the dolphin won by a huge margin.  I lost sight of it well before I got back to my starting point on the beach.  I didn't care.  I was happy.

Later in the day, I was shopping for a nephew's birthday gift and mentioned to the store clerks that I'd seen a dolphin.  The insisted that I hadn't or that I was not remembering exactly where I was on the beach because dolphins "never" come there.  I knew better.  I had seen it, and I knew exactly where I was on the beach.  There had once been a pier there, and the pilings were still there, so there was no mistaking it.  It further confirmed for me that I had been given a gift.

Since returning, I've told just about everyone that has asked about the trip, the dolphin story.  I've thought of it and smiled many times during the last few days.  What I hadn't done prior to reading Sharon's blog, was thought it had anything to do with my weight loss journey.  Perhaps it does.

Consider this. 
  • Two years ago, it would never have crossed my mind, even on a deserted beach, to race a dolphin.  (I wouldn't have done it last week, if there had been people!)
  • I probably wouldn't have walked nearly as far from my beach base and never even seen the dolphin.
  • Food was the last thing on my mind.  I was not thinking about what I'd eaten for breakfast, what I might eat for lunch or anything else.  In year's past I spent an inordinate amount of time planning where we'd have our next meal.  I'd research menus, coupons, daily specials or anything else you can think of that might be a consideration about where to eat.  At that point in time, it was no where on my radar.
  • My legs were shaky after the exertion, and I could feel it later in the day, but I relished the feeling.
The coolest part is, it happened so naturally that it never occurred to me how the changes in my body allowed this to happen.  The changes in my mind allowed this to happen too.  I was a happy person before, and I would have loved seeing a dolphin, but I think my mind would have been too preoccupied to be in the moment the way I was.  My ankles would have probably been hurting, since walking in sand caused that a lot more back then.  I probably would have eaten far more than a banana for breakfast and probably would have been wondering where we would be eating supper, and on and on.  My mind was free to live in that moment only and it was indeed glorious!

4 comments:

  1. Great post. You have such a positive attitude and its great to appreciate the little things in life!

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm a shamanic practitioner and many times gifts like yours are a totem showing up to help us on our journey! so study the dolphin and he will help you to reach your goals! here's a bit about dolphin and it's properties.

    DOLPHIN


    The Power of Breath and Sound

    A Dolphin totem can show you how to enter
    the waters of life and then with breath and sound
    call forth what you most need or desire.




    Sounds are a part of dolphin life, and therefore, if you have this totem,
    they need to be a part of yours.
    Sound is the creative life force.
    Learn to create inner sounds so that you can create outer manifestations.

    The dolphin, along with the whale, are the other sentient beings of our planet.
    They too are self-aware and have souls.
    Accordingly to the Michael Teachings, they are on their fourth cycle,
    while most of mankind is on its eleventh or twelfth cycle.

    If a Dolphin totem has shown up in your life,
    ask yourself what your words and thoughts are creating.
    Are you getting outside and into the fresh air? Are you holding in tensions?
    A Dolphin reminds us to get out, play and most of all, breath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your dolphin story. They are so sleek and graceful as they move through the water. But mostly I love that they are always smiling. I love that my story encouraged you to tell yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story. You are free!!! I can totally see you running on the beach with your hair flying!! Really makes me want to cry. What an awesome thing!!!

    You are doing so great. Keep going my friend!! Live life abundantly!!

    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete