Total Weight Loss

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Small Changes

Yesterday I wrote a very articulate, eloquent blog entry regarding small changes and the big impact over time. I discussed how sometimes the changes were almost imperceptible until they seemed to suddenly appear. It was great, I say, great. Unfortunately, somehow early during the composition, I lost my internet connection, and I could not publish. Google didn't even save a draft at all. I tried to print it so that I could retype it later, and the best I could get was a screen shot. I know I'll never be able to recreate such eloquence, so I won't even try. I will share the example that triggered the discussion, however.

As I mentioned on Saturday, my family and several friends were coming over for Easter dinner after church on Sunday. My mother & sister were bringing dishes. My main responsibilities were salad, asparagus and dessert. The lettuce and asparagus were easy. All I had to do was walk out to the back yard and cut them. I bought some other salad veggies and made a few salad dressings (since I don't do that bottled stuff) and that was that.

For dessert, I decided to try something new. I scoured my cookbooks for something spring-like. I finally settled on two. One had fresh blueberries and the other oranges. I did not look for nutritional information of any sort. I just looked for something appealing. On Sunday, one of my guests pointed out that both offerings were fruit based. I agreed and said I really hadn't set out to intentionally make to fruit based desserts, it just happened. I got loads of compliments on both. Words like "light" and "not too heavy" and even "the best ever" were used to describe them. I must say I agree. :)

Don't misunderstand, they were not nutrition powerhouses. They were indulgences for sure. But they were a far cry from the dense, rich desserts to which I had gravitated in times past. While neither one had white flour, which again was not a conscious decision, they both had sugar. I could possibly tweak the recipes to include sweeteners that would be better choices than sugar, but I don't think I will. First because I think life should include an indulgence every now & then. And second, because of the small changes inside, I'm naturally making better choices. I think that is better than forcing the issue.

Fun Fact:  I've peed 4 times in 55 minutes.  There could be a nice loss on the scales in the morning!!

3 comments:

  1. I hate it when that happens!! I got an error the other day, that my hard drive was missing. I just shut everything down and went to bed. Got up the next morning and it worked. It's still working. I don't get it! Anyway, sorry you lost your post!!

    Keep up the great work my Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like some good choices being made here. Holidays can be enjoyed from family to food. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Lori - sorry about the weather destruction for your family members. How frightening. The winds have calmed down here and it isn't even raining currently. T'was scary for a while this morning.
    Congrats on the good desserts - I have to make something for tomorrow night & have been checking online - I'm thinking of making a gluten-free trifle (so I can have some too) but not so heavy-duty calorie wise...We'll see.
    I hate it when I lose a post. Sometimes I write the post on my email and mail it to myself and then copy & paste it to my blog. That way I can keep editing w/o signing into Blogger & then copy the final version (when things keep popping into my head during the day).
    D

    ReplyDelete