Total Weight Loss

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Perspective

In my last post I, in my usual analytical way, I noted how many steps I had to get each day in order to get to my 1000 mile goal.  I've built a spreadsheet to keep up with my steps and miles along with the year to date goal.  It is just how I am.

I've been a little concerned that I haven't quite made my goal any day.  I'm already chewing to the the small reserve I had at the beginning of the year.  Yesterday at work, I was lamenting this fact to the co-worker that started this whole thing.  She only had done about two miles.  I was stunned.

I have to have a little cushion for the days that I know will come.  The day that I'm sick or over-scheduled or something, sort of like a savings account.  I couldn't imagine her laid back attitude.

She was a little shocked by my OCD attitude.  She told me to calm down since it was only January 3.  She said I plenty of time to get the miles in.  She was sure that she'd make up a lot of time over the summer.

I'm trying to moderate some.  I've always been this way.  I've always saved, worked ahead, etc so as not to get in a bind.  I think it stems from the perfectionism with which I struggle. I Maybe I can use this mileage challenge to ease back on that.  I'll get as many miles in as I can and be happy with it.  I'll still go for 2.7 miles per day, but I'll try not to stress and manipulate on days that I don't.

We'll see.  This could be a double duty challenge.

8 comments:

  1. Isn't it crazy what a shift in perspective can do for you? It sounds like you are off to a great start! I keep trying to post comments to people, but something is wonky here :) Today it is working though, so I wanted to say thank you for all of your encouraging comments, they are very much appreciated. I will have to get this figured out, but please know I am following along on your journey and reading all your comments to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm with you i try to get my treadmill in every day and i usually do 3 miles or i feel like i'm slacking! lolol kately though life has been in the way my treadmill was unusable during dec due to the gosh darn christmas tree and i'm struggling to get back in the groove. i know i'll do it and i KNOW you will too! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3520 steps for one mile? Those are small steps. The 'standard' number of steps for a mile is 2000.
    1 mile = 5280 feet
    That means your steps are only covering 1.5 feet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got that right Bzybee. I measured my steps to come up with the figure. My gait is 18 inches. I'm short. :)
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will all come together. Just stay focused to your goal. You can so do this!!

    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Staying focused on your miles is the key. Don't fret over your co-worker, If they aren't performing and don't seemed concerned over that fact, don't take on the worry for her. Doing so may only get in the way of your focus on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "My gait is 18 inches."

    I assume your measuring one of your feet too? :)

    If so, then there is only one solution, you need to grow taller :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bzybee,
    I did measure one of my feet. I wear 6 1/2 shoe, so that isn't very many inches.

    I went back and remeasured since I really, really wanted to walk fewer steps to make a mile. I measured three more times and still my longest stride was 20 inches. Oh well...thanks for the suggestion.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete