Total Weight Loss

Monday, August 19, 2013

A Sudden Thought

Since my previous post was about my change in mindset and how I hardly gave food a thought I'd share what happened yesterday to demonstrate how quickly things can change.  Yesterday afternoon 65MD and I found ourselves with too many obligations and too little time.  We decided to divide an conquer.

We parted ways, with an agreement to contact each other if we were going to be gone more than our anticipated time.  I had hardly cleared the driveway when the thought popped in to my head that I should stop at the store for some candy, Mounds to be exact.

The thought came totally out of the blue.  I wasn't hungry.  I hadn't seen an advertisement for that particular candy, nor was I near a store.  In fact, going to the store was on 65MD's list.

It was a bit unsettling to have that thought pop up for no apparent reason.  I tried not to panic over it.  I simply told myself that wasn't an option and continued on my way.  There was no epic struggle to stop or not.  I just didn't.

Here's the funny part.  I got home to find candy on the kitchen counter.  Luckily, it wasn't Mounds but York Peppermint Patties.  If there is one candy I do NOT like it is that particular brand of peppermint and chocolate.  The mint it too strong and the chocolate too mild.  

I had to laugh when I saw that.  It was definitely an impulse buy for the hubs.  He's not a candy sort of guy generally.  I asked if they were for a purpose and he said they weren't.  He just thought it would make a nice sweet treat every now & then.  He can do that.  He can leave that candy on the counter for weeks and only have some every now & then.  (I can to for that candy but  not most others!)

He offered to take it to his office so it wouldn't torture .me.  I said that wasn't necessary that it would not tempt me in the least.  It sits on the kitchen counter right now, unopened, right where he left it.

That is another NSV for me.  I'll celebrate it without getting egotistical about it.  I know I still have many battles ahead.  I won't win them all.  At least I got this one!

5 comments:

  1. now that's dodging bullet! glad you stuck to your plan and avoided temptation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you had gotten Almond Joy, I would've came over and helped you eat them. ;) Ha! I like Palmar mints, not York. I agree with you on those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had binge/candy/eating thoughts for days, weeks and months- slowly they subsided and now very rarely. When the thoughts occur, I let them in and imagine a broom to sweep them away.

    RE: candy on the counter. Maybe okay today, but why have candy out in plain sight? Have you had a good heart-to-heart with your family? It may be a change, but keep your environment super clean. Once it's in the subconscious, it can be a slippery slope.

    Good luck and congrats on today. Onward for the rest. Karen P.(former York, Jr. Mint mini-binger!) recovery is possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      My husband is totally and completely supportive of my efforts. I mentioned that the candy was there to demonstrate the lack of power it had over me now.

      I was just in the kitchen and didn't see the candy. It doesn't mean it isn't there. It just doesn't bother me.

      I had not considered the subconscious aspect though. I will ask 65MD to move it to an unknown location, if he hasn't already.
      Lori

      Delete
    2. Halloween candy (daughters) is in a bag I cannot see in our garage. Nice thing is that even my daughter forgets and the candy gets dumped.

      Good on taking action. I know my mind plays funny tricks.... Take care and keep up the good work.

      Delete