Total Weight Loss

Friday, June 8, 2012

A Conversation with a Stranger

A couple of weeks ago my coworkers and I walked to a nearby restaurant for lunch.  It was one of those glorious days when the weather was absolutely perfect.  This little place had four outside tables and we wanted one.  When we got there, I sat at the table and sent my coworkers in to get my food along with theirs.  We could not risk losing an outdoor table on such a day.

As I sat waiting for my lunch, another group of women arrived on foot.  They did the same thing.  One waited at the table next to me while the others went inside.  This woman struck up a conversation with me.

In the south this is not an unusual happening.  People that have never seen each other ever begin to chat while waiting in line or various situations of a similar nature.  Generally, these conversations are about the weather, how long the wait is, what we're in line for, and any other benign topic.  I was not surprised then when she initiated the conversation.

I was surprised by her topic of choice - health.  Perhaps she and her companions had seen us walking as we were not too far ahead of them and she surmised from that I was into wellness.  Maybe it was just what she and her friends were discussing as they walked.  Who knows.

The woman shared that she had recently read that for optimal health individuals should follow the 8-8-8 plan.
  • Drink 8 glasses of water per day
  • Get 8 hours of sleep per night
  • Walk 8 miles per week
What a revelation!  I'm healthy!  I got three out of three on that particular plan.  That evening I excitedly shared with 65MD that I had arrived. I was healthy by this measure, and I was sticking to it.

He realized that he had two of the three.  The 8 miles per week, was his area for improvement.  He felt that it would be an easy fix as well.  It is great walking weather and our neighborhood is walkable enough.  It isn't ideal, but certainly doable.  He decided at that time he was going to join the ranks of the healthy.  It took until this week for him to fully implement his plan.  Getting started in summer school created some obstacles initially, but he was committed.  He walked when he could, but not consistently.  Now that the semester is slipping into a routine he's walked over a mile ever day since Sunday. 

As of today, he's walked 7.7 miles.  He'll just have to do a short distance tomorrow to reach his goal!  I'm happy for him.  I'm glad he found that spark to improve his health.  I'm also glad for a walking buddy.  He keeps me encouraged to walk with him in the evenings.  This is a good thing for both of us.  All because of a 'chance' conversation with a stranger.  Little did she know.

4 comments:

  1. mayhaps she was an angel sent down to inspire and encourage. God places signs in our paths all the time , we have but to listen! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mayhaps, Timothy, mayhaps. I put the word chance in quotes for a reason. I don't know how the Spirit world works, but I know it works.

      Delete
  2. I really like those goals! Thanks for sharing!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete