Total Weight Loss

Monday, August 20, 2012

Monday Mileage

As of last night I have 590 miles towards my goal of 1000 miles this year.  I've done well but I'm really going to have to amp it up to get to the goal.  I have just over 4 months to walk just over 400 miles.  That is 100 miles per month, which is more than I have been averaging.

I've been doing nearly all of my walking outside since I started working from home.  Doing laps around the dining room table makes me dizzy and the dog thinks I'm nuts.  So far, I've been blessed with great outdoor walking weather.  When the rain comes I can adjust my schedule and walk after the rain is over.  If one day, I don't get all my steps in, I can make them up another day.  (at least in theory!)  I know the day is coming, however, when walking outside won't be as appealing.  I've got to come up with a secondary plan.

The obvious choice seems to me to be going someplace indoors to walk, like a mall or a gym.  That is certainly doable.  I'll just have to make adjustments so that I get all of my walking done at once if I go that route.  At this point in time, I bill my clients an hourly rate for my time.  It will chew up too many billable hours to drive some place, walk a lap, and drive back home.  Not to mention burn a lot of gas!  Now, I just walk in the morning before work and in the evenings after work for about half of my daily steps.  The rest, I get walking around in the house or the yard.  A few steps here and there add up to a lot of steps at the end of the day.  I'll ponder it some more.  I've got a little time before I have to make that decision.

In the meantime, I'm telling myself good things about myself, and drinking lots of water.

5 comments:

  1. Have you ever done Walk away the Pounds, Leslie Sansone. I have those as a fallback, indoor exercise, plus my ped works with the program. I've done them so often that I can play the DVD on my laptop w the sound off and watch a movie or other program at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's something that has helped me strange as it sounds....my house has lots of windows. Rather than making myself dizzy walking around in a small space, I jog/walk 100 steps in front of each window before moving to the next. I can rack up 1000 steps pretty quickly that way. The counting helps keep my mind off how boring it is, yet I can still concentrate on the view out the window. Sometimes I'll do the circuit twice (for 2000 steps) and determine that I'll do it every five times before the end of the day. This works for me quite well in the winter when I just don't want to go out and when it's raining. Sounds goofy, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it would be a full time job telling yourself all the wonderful things about you! you are a wonderful sweet kind intelligent considerate beautiful woman, oh hell i'll just say it you are a GODDESS! never forget or doubt that! you're doin great and i KNOW you'll get your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing that has saved me in rainy Oregon is a Treadmill. I know that it's boring, but it gets the job done. I can listen to music or watch TV. Sometimes I put a fan on me and it feels like the wind. It works!!

    Keep up the great work - you will meet your goals!! Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this may sound like a BAD idea, but have you considered scaling back your year's goal to like 850 or 900 steps? You can surely make that, therefore feeling accomplished, and if you surpass it you'll be elated. I realize the other side of the coin, though, on not wanting to go back on a goal.
    I was also going to def suggest Leslie Sansone videos. I would even be willing to mail you one of my faves to try and then mail back if you wanted to preview before a purchase. Some are better than others. I know you are going for steps, though. I was going to suggest just walk in place or around the entire time rather than doing the kicks and stuff if you'd rather. She sets the pace and plainly tells you to walk instead of the other stuff any time you want.
    Lastly, your poor dog will probably be okay unless you lift a leg and pee on the table leg. Hahahaa Sorry, I couldn't get the image of you circling the table out of my mind. Then I thought of your dog circling the table, and why they usually circle things. Okay, I know. I'm nuts. :)

    ReplyDelete