Total Weight Loss

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Where I've Been and Where I'm Going

Time has a way of getting by. I haven't posted since July 17.  That is almost three weeks.   This time, unlike other absences, I haven't even kept up with reading the ones I follow.  I don't like that for several reasons.  Mainly, I don't like it because I miss the camaraderie and accountability.  I also feel like I need to review what happened while I was away.  After being away for so long, it is hard to remember, besides a post of that length would be horribly boring.  I'll just hit the high points.

The biggest time stealer was/is that it is taking longer to remove myself from my job that I anticipated.  It is not a bad or good thing, that is just the way it is.  I'm committed to making the transition as smooth and easy as possible, so I will continue to go in to the office a day or two per week for probably the rest of the month.  Time will tell.

Secondly, my business is ramping up.  That is a great thing.  Since I'm still spending so much time at my previous job, it is like working two full time jobs and then some.  I won't complain.  This is what I wanted.

Another happy event was a Thursday through Tuesday weekend to visit my sister and her family out of town.  I just can't get enough of them.  I have two nephews ages 14 and 4 and a niece age 11.  They are a blast.  They are such a precious family, anyone would benefit from knowing them.

Finally, 65MD received a difficult medical diagnosis.  I'll not share more out of respect for his privacy.  He is facing surgery on Friday.  We both appreciate your prayers on his behalf.

That is where I've been.  Now for where I'm going - down the scales!

I must confess at this point, that I've hardly had time to focus on my eating or my mileage, and my weight has crept up.  As of today, I weigh 191.6.  I am disappointed with myself that I allowed that to happen.  Before I left for my sisters, I'd tipped the scale at 194!!  I was scared straight to be sure.  My sister is a healthy eater and I was happy when I came home a learned I'd actually lost weight.  It was great to recognize that I did not have to follow some specific plan for weight loss to happen. 

Before I left, I had planned to start back on the hcg for a few weeks.  I knew it was going to be hard with all of the back to school stuff with 65MD thrown in to the chaos that was currently reigning in my life.  When I got home and discovered a loss of over 2 pounds in 5 days, I changed my mind.  I took the time to think through my eating while I was away and make myself a pattern.

Generally, it goes something like this:
*Eat small meals through out the day, 5 or 6 as hunger requires.  By small I mean, a handful of cherries, or a cup of salad, very small.  It is amazing what a small amount of food is required to satisfy hunger.
*Severly curtail if not eliminate entirely, sugar, white potatoes and white flour.
*Base meals on protein and vegetables.
*Drink water almost exclusively.

I never felt deprived while at my sister's house.  I ate what they ate, when they ate.  My niece in particular is a snacker.  She eats most of an apple and stops when she is full.  She doesn't eat the rest.  That is the biggest lesson I need to learn.  I don't need to go ahead and finish of this or that if I'm full.  I need to stop and go on.  I spent a large amount of time splitting 'servings' with her.  We both got all we needed.  One night we even went for frozen custard for supper!  I realized that I can eat like a normal person and still lose weight.  I don't have to force myself in to any crazy, unsustainable plan.

That isn't to say, that I'll never go back to the hcg.  I'm considering it once the semester gets underway.  It is a good way to drop the weight quickly.  This time, I'll be better prepared to keep it off for good.

I'll report my mileage tomorrow and hopefully going forward, I'll post a little more regularly.

4 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you, but now concerned about hubby. Will certainly be thinking of him on Friday - what time??

    Your new plan will work. And the good thing is, it will work forever. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sending prayers his way and yours! it's sometimes the simple realizations that give us the AHA moment. stop eating when full. sounds so obvious doesnt it but so many of us have such a difficult time following it. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you have a lot going on. I hope your hubby is OK!! Way to go on your weight loss!!

    Keep up the great work and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping your husband will be ok!

    -Patrick
    http://responsibility199.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete