Total Weight Loss

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Baby Steps

I drank 100 ounces of water yesterday and today!  It is a small step, but it is in the right direction.  I'm hoping this will serve as the mental breakthrough I've been needing.  Drinking 100 ounces of water used to be second nature to me.  I got thirsty if I didn't drink enough.  But I haven't had that much water since September 13, almost a month.
 
On September 14, 65MD and I had an early flight to Charleston, connecting through Baltimore (go figure!), I decided not to drink anything because I didn't want to have to use the facilities on the plane and I certainly didn't want to be rushing around an airport looking for a ladies' room with a full bladder.  I thought I'd get right back on the band wagon as soon as we returned.  I had no expectation of drinking that much water while doing the tourist stuff. I did drink water & tea, just not copious amounts of it as had been my custom.
 
Of course, when I came home with e-coli, water was the least of my worries.  Once I got out of the hospital and tried to return to my typical routine, I was shocked that I couldn't drink much water at all.  It didn't taste good, and I just plain didn't want it.  That was a bit stunning for me.  On top of everything else I'd been through, I just could not drink water.
 
Now, I have broken through that barrier.  I believe I can keep drinking plenty of water and soon it will no longer be an issue.  I'll build on that success and hopefully decide soon what eating plan to use - another baby step.  But the size of the step doesn't matter, as long as it is in the right direction and continues to be.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I must have missed you being in the hospital & e-coli. EEK! Glad you're okay.
    I also avoid water before long drives etc. - but I get so thirsty b/c my body is so used to it. I've been drinking water for most of my life and I love it. Glad you had a successful day!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH! glad you made a step that's GREAT! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish there was something I could say to really encourage you, but the bottom line is, having something like the e coli hit you in the face when you are least expecting it, is a real difficult thing to overcome. Getting back on track may take a while because your body (and mind) are just plain tired. Recognizing small feats (like the water) really are good first baby steps. Don't push - just go with it. Mostly just try and don't allow yourself to go overboard in the OTHER direction. IOW, be patient with yourself while getting your MOJO back, but don't give yourself permission to GAIN weight you've worked so hard to lose. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got the right idea! Continue the momentum!

    “A journey of a thousand miles begins with one small step”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you that you've started drinking more water again! That is actually the one weight loss thing that is second nature to me.

    ReplyDelete