Total Weight Loss

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ice Cream Social

Tuesday was the last day for one of our summer interns to work. So, her supervisor decided that it would be nice to send her off with an ice cream social. She planned the whole thing and sent out invitations that morning. Of course it was fine with me to wish one of our interns well on her last day, I just like a little time to prepare mentally for occasions like this especially when ice cream is involved!!

There were five flavors of ice cream, along with hot fudge and caramel sauces, then crushed candy bars, sprinkles, cherries, whipped cream, nuts and anything else that can be imagined to put on ice cream. In addition to that there were three kinds of cookies and pretzels, not that I looked or anything like that.

I really was a little panicked. I could see obesity in the rear view mirror, but as it says directly on the mirror, "Objects are closer than they appear." Obesity was not far enough away for me to even consider an indulgence of any type. My only option, I felt, was to busy myself serving. I stepped right up and started scooping ice cream for everyone else. I directed everyone to the scrumptious toppings & cookies. I suggested delicious flavor combinations and made a couple of root beer floats. At one point during the scooping, I dribbled a little ice cream on one of my hands. I couldn't get to the sink fast enough to wash it off. It was sticky and I didn't like it.

Finally, the ice cream was practically gone, and the toppings were depleted and scattered. I didn't want any. It was almost gross. I sat down with everyone as they enjoyed their treats, and listened to them talk about how they were going to have to skip supper, had to stop eating like this, and then decide to have just a little more. I was glad to be off that merry-go-round. I was glad I had made the decision to be strong. I actually enjoyed myself, without one bite or even lick of ice cream. It felt good.

7 comments:

  1. One more added advantage to having the heart of a servant.

    Good strategy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,
    I like the way you think!!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog -- great job on the ice cream...its very empowering, even more so when you are listening to others speak and think just like you did. Congrats on losing your obesity, too -- how exciting! I got derailed with a variety of health problems this year, but caught myself and am clawing my way back now. Looking forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Pam. Enjoy the ride!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice Lori! So proud of you! I am finding that my days are full of choices when it comes to food. Some are MUCH harder than others. Ice cream is a toughie. Great job passing it up!

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ice cream is one of my very favorite foods. It is one of the ones I miss the most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic choice! It's those kinds of things that are going to make the difference in the long run.

    You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete