Total Weight Loss

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Saturday Scale Says

This morning the scale read 178.8!!  That is just 1.2 lbs. up from my lowest weight before the frustration of the last couple of weeks.  I've lost almost all of the 'creep' and am almost in chartered territory again!!  It feels great.  In 3.4 pounds I'll no longer be obese, merely overweight.
 
One thing I have learned on this journey is that what works for one person may or may not work for another.  What works now, may or may not work down the road a way.  The one and only constant I have found is my mind.   Once I make up my mind that I am going to do this (count calories, count carbs, exercise 5 days a week, etc.)  whatever the 'this' is, the battle is won.  There may be skirmishes here and there along the way and it may not be easy every step of the way, but the final battle is over.  It reminds me a little bit of what I was taught in Sunday School as a child.  If I made up my mind to obey God, then the decisions were made for me.  All I had to do was walk down that path.  Maybe there is something too that after all.
 
All that to say, that for the last two weeks or so, my mind has not been focused.  I floundered.  I began to wonder what had caused things to get so wildly out of hand when it seemed I was marching right down that weight loss path with hardly an obstacle.  I know part of it, is just poor memory on my part, but I also knew that there had to be something more.  A friend said something to me about having lost 80 pounds.  She was generously rounding up.  I corrected her, but the number I said (77 lbs) was unreal to me somehow.  I didn't realize it then, but I think that big number was messing with my head.  It took another friend saying something about being so close to my goal that made things click.  I think somehow, my brain could not comprehend the massive weight loss.  I don't think I ever believed it was actually possible to lose 100 lbs.  My thought was more like, I'll lose as much as I can and try to live with that.  Since deep inside I didn't believe it was possible I was making that reality.
 
So, now my latest head game is, I'm not saying how many pounds I've lost.  I'm saying how many pounds to goal.  That is a much easier number to wrap my mind around.
 
Today I weigh 178.8.  I am 33.8 pounds away from my goal of 145.  :) 

7 comments:

  1. I feel the same way, thinking about losing all of that weight ahead of me. Reading these blogs really helps because the writers here are in all different stages and facing all sorts of situations.

    Once I pass the halfway point, I like the idea of looking at it as the number to goal.

    Great pic on the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting way to look at the weight loss information. Never thought to turn it around like that. I've lost 42 pounds and have 87 to go. Not sure which way makes me feel more powerful. I will have to think about that. Keep going you are doing awesome! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori Ann, I've been surprised by how blogging has really helped me. Both writing mine and reading others because, as you said, everyone is at a different point on the road.

    Thanks for the compliment on the picture. I got tired of everyone seeing the 'before' one. Even though, I think I gained 15 or 20 lbs after that one was taken.

    Joy, we'll see soon enough if this particular head game works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The funniest thing just happened. I had gotten so far behind reading that I was catching up using google reader. Don't normally do that - I like going directly to the blog. It seems more personal to me. But as I read your post, I thought, "I'm going to her blog and tell her to please post an updated picture." I loved today's post and just wanted to see a picture. Well, lo and behold, there it was!! YOU LOOK GREAT! You are such an encouragement to me with your comments on my blog - hope I am to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon,
    I just put the picture up last night.

    You are an encouragement to me too. I'm always telling J-boy about you & Mr. B.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. You’ve been awarded the versatile blogger award by me! Check it out: http://georgiabe.wordpress.com/2010/07/18/versatile-blogger-award

    ReplyDelete