Total Weight Loss

Friday, August 27, 2010

A Change of Pace

Lately my blog entries have been whining and complaining about eating out, going to parties and gaining weight.  Life's hard, right?  I thought for a change of pace, I'd whine and complain about something else today.  Clothes.

I'm not sure what size clothes I wore when I started this journey, but it was at least a 20, more like 22 though.  Now, I'm firmly entrenched in a 16.  Some of them are finally beginning to get  a little roomy on me.  Like most women I had clothes in all sizes in my closet when I started, but as I lost weight I got rid of the fat clothes as quickly as I could.  I have a huge pile of clothes that I am taking to consign this weekend.  I'm very excited about that.  I'm taking the profit to buy new clothes, probably not brand new clothes but new to me clothes.  But my point is, I have been able to 'shop' in my own closet for clothes as I've lost weight.  I've filled in some with new pieces, but for the most part, I've had plenty to wear from my own stash.

I've been incredibly blessed in that a friend of a friend has lost weight and cleaned our her fat clothes of which, quite a few fit me.  I don't have an ego problem wearing another woman's fat clothes because I'll be out of them soon enough myself, and I'll pass those along to the next woman on her way down.  Now, for the first time, I've got a wardrobe I didn't have before.  It is all new to me and I'm a little bewildered.  I didn't buy them, or shop for them in any way.  They were just given to me.  The hand-me-downs are very nice stylish clothes, which have come to me in a couple of large doses.  I got the latest batch on Friday last week, and I have worn something new every single day this week and I haven't worn everything yet!!  It has been a huge, huge blessing for me.

I got a extra large sized garbage bag crammed so full of clothes that I could not lift it.  Fabulous, yes indeed!!  Baffling, bewildering, confounding, that too!!  It is like I stumbled in to another woman's closet when I'm trying to get dressed in the morning.  I don't know what goes with what.  I'm talking about skirts & blouses don't even get me started on accessories.  I have more scarves, necklaces and bracelets than most specialty shops. 

It is a strange experience to say the least.  I  have always had this fantasy about getting a whole new wardrobe.  Now I've got it and I don't quite know what to do!!  It is a fun problem to have.  I hope to have it again in a couple of months.

3 comments:

  1. Yay, that sounds fun! Honestly, I have already told my husband he has to accompany me on a very LONG shopping spree when I hit my goal.

    I do have a concern though...when I lost weight before down to a size 8, I started buying lots of clothes, but they were all in the style of my fat clothes. Finally a friend told me I didn't have to hide my thighs with long tunic tops anymore, but I didn't see that.

    So I think to myself-how am I going to see myself differently enough to change my style to one more suited to a smaller person. For instance, not just buying smaller sweatpants and tunics...

    Hmm, maybe I should blog about this. Anyway, I'm new to your blog, so keep it up, it sounds like you have come a long way so far!

    Best wishes,
    Polar's Mom
    www.polarspage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polar's Mom,
    The 'new' clothes are a little different style for me. Experimenting with new styles this way has been great. I never would have bought some of the pieces myself.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much fun is that???? I need someone to downsize around here so I get their wardrobe! :) I think that is really awesome, I can't even imagine how it feels for you. I am only 1/2 way to my goal, and I put a bunch of stuff in the yard sale, total closet purge, of anything over a size 20. Since then, two strange things have happened:

    The other day I put on a favorite pair of cammo pants that are so cute and they just slipped down over my hips. They were a 24 and way too big, but I all but grieved at having to give up my favorite casual pants. Isn't that stupid? Hell-oooooo! You get new ones, in a smaller size, what is the problem with that??? Head games.

    Secondly, I have had an extremely hard time "seeing" the weight loss. I feel like I still look fat (which honestly I do) and I think it has to do with the fact that before I lost weight, I never really "saw" how fat I was then, or something who knows. Anyway, I grabbed a knee length skirt and a white t-shirt to go to an event a few weeks ago. I was thinking I looked cute, and the minute I pulled up a friend said, "girl! you need to get you some skinny clothes!" and I said "these are my skinny clothes!" to which she replied "well, they are hanging off you." Sure enough, when I saw the pics, they were droopy and baggy, I looked awful. I however was enjoying the extra room. Needless to say, I am wearing things less loose these days.

    It is a strange journey.

    ReplyDelete