Total Weight Loss

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Help!

I weigh every day.  It is a decision I made for myself at the beginning of this journey and I believe the right decision for me.  When I see an unexplained/unexpected gain I know I need to address something rather than letting it go unnoticed and uncorrected for a week or more.  Generally, the small upticks don't bother me at all.  I can almost always figure out what happened and take steps to correct it right away.  That's what it is all about for me.  Today, however, I'm upset.  I need some encouragement.

Yesterday I gained 0.2 lbs.  It was one of those small upticks that didn't bother me at all.  I figured it was from my strange weekend.  I probably hadn't had enough water, and certainly did not move as much on Saturday as typical.  I knew I'd made the best choices I could and stuff happens.  I moved on.

My eating & exercise were textbook perfect yesterday.  I'm doing a low carb plan that allows whole grains.  I really felt good great about the choices I made as I went to bed last night.  I'd eaten exactly what I should during the day, and I'd felt satisfied all day.  I got in all my water without having to force it, and I didn't even want seconds at supper.  I often want seconds, but hardly ever allow it.  I thought I'd found the right plan for me and I'd race right on down the scales.

Not only was my eating great, I was back on the stair stepper working hard to be more intense.  I did a full 20 minutes, not full on all the time, but a definite improvement from the last couple of weeks while I was sick.

I had great expectations this morning as I approached the scales.  Imagine my surprise when they were up 0.6.  That is a 0.8, nearly a full pound gained in two days!!  I don't know why.  I think that has me more upset than the gain.  I don't know what to do to fix the problem.

All the food I ate yesterday was prepared by me, so I know there wasn't something sneaky in there that wasn't counted.  And, since I often eat the same breakfast & lunch during the week because it is easier for me, I'm worried that I'll gain again in the morning.  I can't do that.  I've worked too hard and too long to see it slip away.  It would be one thing if I'd eaten those girl scout cookies, I'm thinking about now.  It is a good thing I'm at work and they're at home.  I'd make sure I knew why I'd gained in the morning!! 

Seriously, although I'm thinking about the cookies, I don't think I'd eat them.  I know better, but what I don't know is how to fix this.  Any ideas???  

2 comments:

  1. Oh that darn scale and that crazy math! You may have read in my blog how I gained 3 pounds overnight last week from one small binge. And they did not just fall off me either! No way did I consume all those calories. So often the scale does not reflect what I think it should. Right now it is driving me crazy. For me, I just try to focus on what I am doing. If I eat well, I try to be happy with that, even when the scale does not reward me. So frustrating. Please hang in there:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I can offer any words of wisdom that you haven't already thought of. Like you, I weigh every day and sometimes out of the blue, the same thing happens to me. On the other hand, sometimes out of the blue when I'm expecting a gain, there will be a loss. I just think things go on inside our bodies that we don't understand and simply cannot explain. I know you believe (as I do) that our bodies are an amazing miracle put together uniquely by our Creator. That miracle could include some very important hormone that hasn't even been discovered yet, but can cause slight upticks in the weight of a female! Maybe it's best not to try and explain it or look for a reason - just keep doing what you're doing and consider it a tiny blip on the radar.

    ReplyDelete