Total Weight Loss

Friday, July 8, 2011

Everybody's Right

I woke up this morning with a mild sore throat and still don't quite feel myself. Several of us at work are having the same symptoms so I think we've all got a mild virus. We all should be better in a day or two. Karen was right.

Timothy is right that I weigh a lot, but I'm not willing to say too gosh darn much, as he did. ;-) I weigh every day for the accountability. If I only weighed once a week, I'd cheat like crazy the first day or two after the weigh in thinking I had the rest of the week to fix it. If I only weighed once a month, I shudder to think how much I'd weigh. But, I will say that I've fallen in to the trap of focusing on that number to the detriment of noticing other signs of weight loss and good health.

The daily weighing leads me to almost constant tweaking of whatever program I'm on, in addition to switching back & forth. Sharon was right. I'm freaking my body out by continually cutting out this or adding in that and not really giving my body a chance to respond.

I was blessed with a couple of hours of solitude yesterday evening so I sat down with myself to truly focus on what I need to do. I won't go in to all of the introspection about perfectionism and impatience that surfaced. I recognized once again, that what I need to do is tackle those monsters and the weight loss will follow. I know what to do to lose weight. That part is 'easy' so to speak. I know what proper nutrition is, I know if I'm really exercising or just putting in the time. All I have to do is do it. I want to cut to the end. I want to find the quick way down the scales. What I wind up doing is prolonging the agony.

All I need to do is relax, take a deep breath and do what I know to be right. Eat fewer calories, and exercise more. I'll continue to monitor my weight, but I'll also check my measurements, and recognize those NSV's like having more stamina. Easy to say, but oh so very hard to do.

Thanks for helping me along this journey, even when I kick, scream and cry. I know you're right. Thanks for being honest with me, when I'm not with myself - especially when I'm not honest with myself.

4 comments:

  1. We've got your back just as you've got ours! When these two Tennessee girls get to our goal, there's gonna be some whoopin' & hollerin'. And we WILL get there. Just sayin'. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully you will feel back to yourself soon. I often hear that Nike slogan, Just Do It, in my head. Like you, I mostly know what I need to do, but knowing and doing are not the same thing. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. feel better sweetie (black elderberry extract will help the throat if you need it), and i'm glad if my lil ole opinion helps in any way shape or form. i TRY to be honest and say the 1st thing that comes to me without censor. i KNOW you know what to do as you've done spectacularly sometimes you just gotta swallow hard and do it! have a GREAT weekend sweetie! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got this my Friend. Take care of yourself and stay focused!

    ReplyDelete