Total Weight Loss

Saturday, October 16, 2010

My Trip to the Grocery Store

I just got back from the grocery store and had to share this.  As I noted on my post earlier today, I'm starting protein shakes tomorrow. On the way to the store, I told that pesky voice that has been haunting me that she could have one treat, in spite of Sharon's sage advice.  I decided that I would get some candy. 

So after I got what I'd come for, I set out for the candy aisle to make my selection.  Hmmm....what did I want, M&M's, oh yes, those peanut butter ones, no wait...maybe Twix, or Kit-Kat.  What about Mounds?  When I got there, however, I was a little grossed out.  Besides being far too many choices, the bags were huge.  Of course, this close to Halloween, what else is to be expected.  So, I decided candy wasn't the way to go. 

How about cookies?  I didn't want those old hard things in the cookie aisle.  Who knows what is in those things anyway.  I headed straight to the bakery.  Again, I was overwhelmed with choices. I thought I'd just get one or maybe two single cookies.  That way the inner brat voice would be satisfied, and I wouldn't have 10 or 11 extra cookies to worry about.  There was someone in line, so I had a moment to peruse uninterrupted to make just the right selection.  This was to be my one indulgence, so I had to make it good.  As I was looking around to find just the right confection, I saw a container full of butter cream frosting.  It was a clear plastic container in which slices of cake would be sold, only this was full of frosting.  I was disgusted.  I was also a little surprised by the disgust.  I'm an excellent baker, and enjoy decorating cakes.  I have never, ever, ever been disgusted by butter cream frosting!!  Then I realized I really didn't want anything sweet.  I wanted bread.

Back across the store I went to the frozen food.  I was just going to buy a pan of Sister Schubert's rolls.  I know I could make better, but again, I didn't want to have to deal with any leftovers.  I hardly ever shop in the frozen food area.  I can't even remember the last time I went down that aisle, probably the last time I was doing something like this and was headed for the ice cream!    Anyway, I didn't quite know where the rolls would be so I was looking around as I slowly made my way down the aisle.  I had no idea that 'chicken' could be molded in to so many shapes.  I began to wonder if it really was chicken.  I was nauseated.  I got out of there as fast as I could.

It was a good thing I already had my real food in my cart.  I high tailed it to the checkout lane, where the cashier was actually waiting for a customer.  If it had not worked out like that I probably would have just left the store with nothing.  As I was driving home, once again calm, I thought  would share this little escapade.  It even brings a little chuckle as I think about it now.

1 comment:

  1. What a great story! I had a similar experience with the Demon Sample Pusher's at Sam's a couple of weeks ago and felt quite proud of myself. You should too!!

    I'm anxious to see how the Protein Drinks works for you. I'm not a fan of that type of eating plan simply because I know it's not something I can do forever. Meaning I'm going to gain back anything I lose probably even quicker than I lost it! Hope it goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete